Coming to live with us

We want everyone to be as happy as possible from their very first day at Wilsic Hall School. We also take planning for the future, after leaving school, very seriously.

You are more than welcome to visit the school to find out more and ask any questions. Further information is available for families, carers and professionals in our Statement of Purpose which is available upon request.

Referrals are accepted from the authority that will fund the placement. The authority will be asked to send through relevant information which will be reviewed to ensure that Wilsic Hall School may be in a position to positively address the needs of the referred person.

People referred to Wilsic Hall School must have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and be assessed in person before admission, to ascertain whether their needs can be met by the provision.

This Pre-admission Assessment is carried out by one of the assessment teams from our schools and children’s services and can include members of our clinical, care management and education teams. They will arrange to meet the person and as many people centrally involved in their lives and direct care and education as possible to assess their needs. This is the start of the child-centred planning process that ensures each person is treated as an individual.

Emergency placements
In emergency situations we aim to be flexible and responsive and will tailor our admission process to reflect the needs of each person.

If it is felt that Wilsic Hall School is the best option for the person, the authority will be informed and a contract written. Hesley Group primarily uses the National Schools Contract (NASS) for placements within our schools and children’s services. Information on what is/is not provided within our standard fee is issued as an appendix with the contract (see Appendix 2).

The transition process will be managed by a senior manager from Wilsic Hall School who will work with the person, their family/carers and the authority that will fund the place to ensure the move is properly planned and managed and that the best interests of the person are properly met.

Transition to adult services
After reaching 18 years of age, people can stay on in the children’s home pending their next move.

A full risk assessment and evaluation of their daily routine is, however, undertaken to ensure their residence in the children’s home has no adverse effect on the children and people under the age of 18 also living there, while continuing to meet their own needs.

After 18 years of age, placements become transitional, and increased links are made with the appropriate adult service, while the person continues in their last year of education in the school setting.

Every effort is made through the Education and Looked After Children reviews to find the most appropriate next
placement, before the person leaves school.

On a limited number of occasions, the person might stay in the children’s home after 19 years of age until an appropriate adult placement is found.